Thursday, May 6, 2010

4D

On a rainy laundry day, Abbot and Burger opened my eyes to a 4th dimension like never before. I admit that Flatland was nothing new but Sphereland was food for thought. The visits of the sphere and supersphere to the lower dimensions were very inspirational. I immediately imagined my superself visiting myself from a higher dimension and telling me about my nethers. I am not sure how he would be projected into 3 dimensions (perhaps as a 3D Julia fractal) but I would love to witness something as trippy.

I was thinking all night about a way to see 4 dimensions. If we project a 4D object twice into two 3D adjacent objects with the one to the left slightly rotated on the 4th axis, we can cross our eyes and see all 4D. More impractically, we can have two extra eyes above our two eyes and cross-eye twice (horizontally and vertically) to have 4 images rotated on two axes render an object in 4D.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment